Nike is bringing back an old marketing tactic for their CrossFit specific Nike Metcon 1, applying ‘Banned’ Jordan 1 colors on the trainer in the process.
As the story goes, the Jordan 1 was initially banned by the NBA due to it’s loud colors at the time. The black and red from that shoe is applied to the Metcon, as it has been essentially banned from being worn at any CrossFit competitions, due to the sport having an official sponsorship from Reebok. Nike also made a point to talk about the superior features of the Metcon, which is as follows:
– Minimal heel-to-toe drop for stability when lifting, cutting and jumping
– Flywire cables wrap the arch and provide lockdown for lightweight stability
– Tough, abrasion-resistant mesh upper offers a breathable feel that’s built to last
– Durable sides for protection on the rope
– Flex grooves let you move more naturally
The Nike Metcon 1 ‘Varsity Red’ officially releases on Thursday, July 16th for a retail price of $130.
I’ve been thinking about getting a pair of these, but this color scheme just made it definite.
Yeah, this color is clean as h*ll. I can’t lie. I wasn’t sure about this shoe but this one does it.